Every time I think I’m going to be more faithful with blogging, life gets in the way. Right now it feels like I am running and running and just can’t catch up. Last week we were gone every evening and gone the entire day for four of those days. This week I am afflicted with a nasty cold — being sick in the middle of summer is just. no. fun. Maybe God’s trying to slow me down? It’s kinda nice not to have to go anywhere, I must admit. 🙂
We’ve been doing things like:
- Peas. Peas. More peas. Hours in the garden, picking. Then- beans, beans, and more beans. Peas AND beans together. Makes for some full freezers and canning shelves. And now it is tomato, banana pepper, and carrot season. 🙂 I’m happy for the bounty of the garden. It’s an even happier sight when the produce is contained in jars, and not overflowing on my kitchen counters. 🙂
- Having whole conversations in funeral home bathrooms with unknown little girls, who ask things like whether you’re sisters to a famous lady who has been dead for years and whether you have children. (After you have already answered her question that “yes! I am a mom!”) Oh, the amusement. 🙂
- Getting calls at 3:00 in the morning about mulch piles being on fire.
- Learning, while washing those piles of dishes and folding those piles of laundry. Favorite blog posts lately: A Growing Pile of Pennies, (Dorcas Smucker) A Few Thoughts on Mom Guilt, (Sarah Esh), and When Life is Hard Slogging (Dorcas Smucker). (Guess DS is winning today!) And the podcasts I’ve been enjoying lately? Savoring Motherhood and Making Time for Creativity by Shauna Nyquist, and The Art of Simple podcast.
- Cutting flowers from my gardens. I have fallen in LOVE with zinnias! So cheery. 🙂 The cala lilies are almost done blooming, but quite a few of my perennials are still going strong. The sunflowers + zinnias in our surprise garden are my favorites. 🙂 Sadly, my flower pots on the front porch just didn’t survive the extreme heat + our absence the last while. 😦
- Three trips in two weeks time. Two business and one for Mom’s birthday party. It’s time to stay home for awhile. 🙂 A few pics from last weekend: 1//Proud Grandpa + sweaty baby 2//Party decor 3//The gorgeous cake, courtesy of Grace.
- Iced coffee. ‘Nuff said.
- Getting news about lots of little ones on the way. It makes me smile! 🙂
Happy July Wednesday to you!